"This version thinks its better than everyone because it contains no meat. And there’s no soy, either."
Janel got this recipe from a friend (Becky Lehman) and when we make chili, this is the recipe we usually fall back on. You can adlib with a few things (we've added corn and mushrooms, for example) and if you need a little protein, you can add ground meat easily.
We had a container of cheap fajita seasoning from the International market down the street but found out it had MSG in it. Today I was making fajitas and realized we had no seasoning. I found this recipe online and followed it loosely (ie. not really measuring but using these ingredients in roughly these proportions) and it turned out pretty well.
In 9x13 pan, layer the following:
- 1 head lettuce (broken up)
- 1/2 green pepper (slivered)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup red onion (thinly sliced)
- 10 oz. frozen peas (cooked and cooled)
- 1 cup Weight Watchers Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup bacon bits (or 6-7 slices crisp bacon)
Refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
This salad is quite popular around here. I like the taste a lot, but don't know how you can reduce the amount of Miracle Whip. (It tastes great, but seems like a lot of dressing.)
This keeps for a couple weeks in the fridge.
- 9 cups sliced, peeled cucumbers
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced green peppers
Mix together and pour over vegetables:
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
Store in jars in the fridge.