Our favourite dessert this fall is the Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread recipe from the cookbook Simply in Season. You should probably make this. Soon. IT IS SO TASTY!
- Put 3 or 4 Tbsp of butter in a baking dish (a bit bigger than a pie dish). Stick it in the oven as it warms up to 350.
- Assemble these three bowls: First bowl - combine 1.5 cups of flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of each nutmeg, allspice and salt
- Second bowl - combine 1/2 cup molasses (or honey) with 1/2 cup buttermilk (sour milk, kefir, etc.) Third bowl - whip together 1/3 cup of butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 egg.
- Take your pan out of the oven. The butter should be all melted. Add 3-4 TBsp of brown sugar. Slice up 2-3 peeled pears and lay them in the pan.
- Add the first two bowls you assembled, alternately, into the third bowl of butter, sugar and egg. Stir it all together and pour over the pears. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Let it cool for just a few minutes. Pry the edges loose and invert the cake onto a platter. Serve with whipping cream.